Return to Blogging . . .

 


As some of you know, I was a blogger for about 7 years. My blog, The Art of Choral Music, was created for lovers and/or friends of the art of choral music. For a variety of reasons, I stopped blogging 4 years ago, almost to the day. More and more I was using Facebook to announce and make comments about my concerts, but I stopped writing articles specifically about my art.

So, I have decided to revive my blog. It will be a bit different in that it will contain a few video entries and a new series or two. I have also updated the look of the blog. When I upload an entry, I will make a brief post on Facebook, with the link, for your convenience. I will still be announcing music events on FB, but will reserve more in-depth musings for the blog, as well as updates about Union's Choral Program.

To get this reboot started, I am reposting a favorite blog article from 2012.

Enjoy!

****************************************************************************

“Yet, what I can I give him: I will give my heart.”  This closing line from the poem “In the Bleak Midwinter” speaks of the ultimate gift we as Christians give to our Creator: our heart.  The Holy Spirit breathes life into our heart, which in turn is our gift to Him.

“In the Bleak Midwinter” is the well-known poem by Christina Rossetti (1830-1894). For this year’s Christmas Festival the Regional Chorus will sing an original setting of “In the Bleak Midwinter” composed by Andy Beck.

As I analyze this poem, key words and phrases stand out:

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan, Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stoneWinter snow had fallen, fallen snow on snow, In the bleak midwinter, long time ago.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there, Cherubim and Seraphim filled the winter air; But only his mother,  in her maiden bliss, Worshipped the Beloved with a mother’s kiss.

What can I give him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb; If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part; Yet, what I can I give him: I will give my heart.

(Not all verses of the poem were used for this setting)
Words such as bleak, frosty, and moan begin to paint a frozen, winter landscape.  The poet continues to paint a bitterly cold scene: “Earth stood hard as iron” and “water like a stone.” The imagery is powerful – comparing the landscape to iron and stone.

Musically, these opening lines are set for solo voices with threadlike accompaniment, which is in keeping with the starkness of this bleak and frosty land. At the words “Winter Snow had fallen…” all the voices appear, moving together to craft a broad and compelling statement.

In the next verse the text turns from the bitter cold of winter to angels, archangels, Cherubim, and Seraphim surrounding and protecting the Beloved and His mother. The tenors and basses take the opening line (“Angels and archangels…”)  with the women “floating” above them singing of angels, Cherubim, and Seraphim. At “But only his mother…” the women sing in a full three-part texture emphasizing the young maiden and her bliss. It is the moving imagery of the “Beloved” and the “mother’s kiss” which is warmly espoused by all voices in four-part harmony.

The final verse beckons one to consider what can be offered to the Beloved; a shepherd would offer Him a lamb and Wise Men would make an offering in keeping with their station.  Yet, what is required of me? The poet states it tenderly: “Yet, what I can I give him: I will give my heart.”  Musically, this verse begins with all voices coming together to ask the question; yet, as the poem ends, the voices taper off to a whisper when speaking of the gift of our heart.

Andy Beck has masterfully set this well known poem, which has been set to music by innumerable composers over the last (plus) century.  This accessible, SATB arrangement is published by Alfred Publishing; I highly recommend this original setting to my fellow choral directors.  You may find a recording of this work at http://www.jwpepper.com/10065516.item. When the window opens, “click” on the arrow to listen to a mp3 recording.  Enjoy!

Blessings....