Decades Later and I am Still a Lover of Choral Music!

For a lover of choral music (which if you haven't guessed by now, I am) directing music by Purcell, Bach, and Vivaldi is a dream! As you probably know, my doctorate and master degree are both in choral conducting so the idea that I would be a lover of choral music comes as no real surprise! Nevertheless, I feel compelled to "wax poetic" about our performance last night. I am reminded of how blessed I am to work with these dedicated singers.

The UC Singers is a diverse group and yet they are able to come together as one beautiful voice. I love their youthful enthusiasm (most of the time, lol) and their boundless energy. Harmony, because of their size, is such an intimate group.  They balance so well and are quick. And although they are a "high spirited" bunch, they still get the work done! The Regional Chorus is also a diverse group.  All I can say is that my Tuesday nights have never been the same since working with them!!  They are dedicated, talented, and funny!

All the music presented at this Spring Concert was from the Baroque Era. There is such a wealth of great repertoire from this era and to be able to expose my students to these great composers is a joy! Yes, learning the music took hard work -- very hard work. And learning to sing in German and Latin was also a challenge for many. At first some singers might have doubted they could handle the German. However, their diction was very good; all the reciting of the text over and over paid off!

A big thank you to Candy Wood who sang a very challenging solo very well! Candy and Dee Crescitelli also did an outstanding job on "Domini Deus." Alex Estes, Olivia Brock, and Elizabeth Reese sang the ever popular "Laudamus Te" with precision and musicality.

It was also a very special night for Chris Adams, Olivia Brock, Stephanie Cagle, Ashley Shipley, and Cortni Thrasher who were honored and recognized for their many years of dedication to the UC Choral Program. I will miss them next year! (Btw, thanks so much for the flowers!)

Finally, I want to thank those of you who came to the concert and supported these outstanding choirs. As you looked at the choirs from your seats you saw your students, friends, and/or perhaps colleagues amongst the singers -- and they saw you too!
Blessings......