The Beauty and Power of Hymns: Opus 5

This is the fifth post in a quasi regular series about hymn tunes, lyrics, sources, etc....

This semester Union Harmony is singing a beautiful piece entitled "Abide with Me" which is based on the hymn of the same name. The lyrics were penned by Henry F. Lyte (1793-1847) and the tune composed by William H. Monk (1823-1889). The tune is known as "Eventide" and is lyrical and flowing in nature.  The text takes its inspiration from Luke 24:29 which reads -- But they urged him strongly, "Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over." So he went in to stay with them. (NIV)

Connie Ruth Christiansen (http://www.sharefaith.com/) says this about the writing of this hymn -  "In 1844, Henry was diagnosed with Tuberculosis. Over the next three years his physical condition deteriorated until finally on September 4, 1847, at the age of 54, he stood in the pulpit for the last time to deliver his farewell message.

That same afternoon, after taking a walk on the beach, Henry retired to his room. He emerged about an hour later with a written copy of Abide With Me. He left soon after for a trip to Italy, to get away from the cold, damp coastal weather. While en route to his destination, he mailed a revised copy of Abide With Me to his wife. A few days later while resting in a hotel on the French Riviera, Henry went home to be with Jesus."

Jack Schrader's arrangement begins with the opening lines of the hymn -- Abide with me; fast falls the eventide; The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide!  It is a moving text that has been utilized by numerous composers through the years; however, I find this arrangement to be most moving and appealing. Schrader set verses 1, 3, and 5 and weaves between unison singing and SATB divisi. In reading the background to the writing of this hymn it appears that the ocean was ever present in Henry's life. Likewise, it is interesting to note that much of the opening accompaniment of Schraders' arrangement contains a "rolling" triplet motion.  It is as if the sea is musically being depicted -- a technique akin to wordpainting.  As I was working on this piece with my choir, I noticed this wavelike motion and wondered if this musical allusion to the sea was intentional.  I cannot know if Jack Schrader new the background of this hymn, although my educated guess (after reading the background myself) would be yes, he did.

Fellow choral musicians -- I highly recommend this piece. It is published by Hope Publishing and you can listen to a performance of this arrangement at J.W. Pepper dot com.  Type Abide with Me Schrader (without quotes) into the keyword box - once the page loads simply "click" to play a recording.

As mentioned above, this arrangement utilizes verses 1, 3, and 5; however, please find the complete hymn text below.  Enjoy and Sola Gratia!

Abide With Me


Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me.


I need thy presence every passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.


I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears not bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.


Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

(from: http://www.sharefaith.com/)