It Was All About Love: The 2011 Valentine Concert


On Monday evening, February 14, 2011 the UC Music Program presented its fourth annual Valentine Concert. The Union College Singers sang Can't Buy Me Love and I Heard it Through the Grapevine.  Union Harmony presented I'm a Believer and If You Don't Know Me By Now, while the Regional Chorus sang Dream a Little Dream of Me and Ain't Misbehavin'.

There were also three mixed ensemble numbers that included Somewhere Out There, Take a Chance (on me), and When I Fall in Love (our signature piece).  As a finale, all the choirs came together to sing Isn't it Romantic? Two soloists, Eddie Campbell and Stephanie Cagle sang Fields of Gold and Taylor the Latte Boy, respectively.

All the choirs, mixed ensembles, and soloists sang beautifully.  I want to express my appreciation for all their hard work in preparing for this concert, especially in light of the fact that there was such a short time span between the first rehearsal of the semester and the concert itself.

Music that is drawn from pop culture very often contains very complicated rhythms, which take a great deal of time and attention to master.  I know many in the choir who may be reading this are smiling (I hope :) knowing how hard we worked on those complex and syncopated rhythms.  Again, I couldn't be more proud of all three choirs!

The Valentine Concert, from the beginning, has been a campus and Barbourville community favorite; it rivals the Christmas Festival in attendance. I want to express my sincere appreciation to the Union College campus community, the Barbourville community, as well as surrounding communities who come to our concerts and support music at Union College!

Please look for another post, coming soon, with pictures taken the evening of the concert.

Blessings......