A Time of New Beginnings....

It is hard to believe that I am beginning my ninth year here at Union College. And in many ways, the time seems to have flown by so quickly. At the risk of “waxing poetic” there is nothing like teaching at the collegiate level. Each new semester brings with it a new beginning, a “do over” if you will. One can reflect upon the previous semester(s) and decide what worked, what didn’t work, and what worked even though one may be unclear why! I can look at the previous semester and make adjustments, keep some things the same, or maybe even try something new and radical – well, I’m not exactly a radical kind of woman, but you get the idea. This feeling I get (especially as the Fall semester approaches) reminds me of how I felt growing up -- a new school year would be on the horizon and I knew it was a time to make changes, to try something new, to be a better student, etc…

As I look back over the last many years, I have many things for which to be thankful. I am proud that the Union College Choral Program consists of three solid choral ensembles and that any student who has the desire to sing, can be a part of the music program. The choirs have maintained a high profile and have presented quality choral performances that have not gone unnoticed by our college, community, as well as, surrounding communities. What a privilege to work in a discipline that “weds” wonderful texts to beautiful music.

I also love being what I call a “regular” classroom teacher. I thoroughly enjoy teaching -- whether it is Introduction to Music, Music History, or Music Theory. I also get to teach one-on-one voice lessons and watch (hopefully:) students bloom and grow in their vocal technique and singing. As I reflect upon my life (so far) as a college professor, I can say with all sincerity that I am grateful to work in a field I love and am equally grateful for being a part of my student’s lives. It is my hope and prayer that I can, in some small way, make a difference in their lives. So, as a new academic year begins, I want to challenge you to embrace this time of new beginnings. Sola gratia…