The Beauty and Power of Hymns: Opus 4

This is the fourth post in a quasi regular series about hymn tunes, lyrics, sources, etc...

Craig Courtney, a prolific and notable editor/composer of sacred choral music, crafted a beautiful arrangement (using the hymntune RESIGNATION) for SATB chorus with piano accompaniment. The text is by Isaac Watts and is based on Psalm 23. The name of the arrangement is "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" and is published by Beckenhort Press. The choral arrangement and setting is quite compelling in its simplicity and elegance. The setting begins with the soprano and altos in unison, but shades each stanza with different voicings, e.g. two-part women, unison men, satb, etc... This arrangement is accessible to most accompanists and satb choirs.

Written by Watts, this adaptation of Psalm 23 is moving. "He brings my wand'ring spirit back when I forsake his ways" is just one example of how Watts uses his poetical sensibilities to express that God's sovereign grace will be applied. The text as written by Isaac Watts is as follows -- "My shepherd will supply my need, Jehovah is his name; In pastures fresh he makes me feed, Beside the living stream. He brings my wand'ring spirit back When I forsake his ways; And leads me, for his mercy's sake, In paths of truth and grace. When I walk through the shades of death, Thy presence is my stay; A word of thy supporting breath Drives all my fears away. Thy hand, in sight of all my foes, Doth still my table spread, My cup with blessings overflows, Thine oil anoints my head. The sure provisions of my God Attend me all my days: O may thy house be mine abode, And all my work be praise! There would I find a settled rest, While others go and come; No more a stranger or a guest, But like a child at home."

In Jamieson, Fausser, and Brown's "Commentary on the Whole Bible" (Zondervan Publishing House, first revised printing, 1961) the introductory remark for Psalm 23 says, "Vss. 1-6. Under a metaphor borrowed from the scenes of pastoral life, with which Daivd was familiar, he describes God's providential care in providing refreshment, guidance, protection and abundance, and so affording grounds of confidence in His perpetual favor."

I highly recommend this choral arrangement. It is a theologically sound (and beautiful) text that has been thoughtfully set for satb chorus. If you would like to hear this arrangement, go to http://www.jwpepper.com/ and in the "keywords" box type My Shepherd Will Supply My Need Courtney. When the page comes up simply click on MP3Audio and enjoy.