The 2009-2010 Concert Season Comes to a Close

It is funny (not in the ha-ha sort of way but in the “curious” sort of way) how one feels after an important musical event. To be sure, it feels great to have a successful performance behind you. But, there is also a little bit of a let down. So much work and focus has gone into preparing for the concert and then suddenly, it’s over. And to be at the end of the academic year with so many concerts becoming a distant memory, well, the feeling is augmented. After a major choral performance, it sometimes takes a few days for me to get back into the swing of things – to get my mind in the here and now if you will.

The Union College Music Program presented four major choral performances this academic year: the Christmas Festival, Valentine Concert, UC Singers & Union Harmony Spring Concert, and finally the Regional Chorus Spring Concert. It is has been a great year! The choirs have sung a wide variety of works from different historical periods, genres, and styles. They have sung everything from “Sing We Now of Christmas” to “Moon River” to Mozart’s “Ave Verum” to Faure’s Requiem.” Whew, talk about variety! I could not be more proud of all my singers.

So this is what I want to say to each of you: UC Singers – You are by far the most eclectic group of singers and I wouldn’t have it any other way. You have tremendous energy and spunkiness. I love your enthusiasm for singing and having fun. I enjoy hearing about what is going on in your lives (most of the time, lol) and could not be more pleased with what you have done as a choral ensemble.

Union Harmony – I appreciate your expressiveness and focus as we work on our literature. You had the added responsibility of singing at Fall Convocation, the Homecoming Service, Spring Convocation, Honors Convocation, FBC Barbourville, Baccalaureate, Commencement, and a few others that I am probably forgetting. You always do a tremendous job and are a pleasure to work with.

UC Regional Chorus – I am so grateful for the time that you give to this choir. Most of you are from Barbourville or nearby communities and it takes a big commitment to devote yourselves to this chorus week in and week out. The RC also has several faculty members and students singing in the choir. I am so thankful that you have “eeked” out time in your very busy schedules to be a part of this group. We could not do it without you! RC, we get a lot done in our rehearsals and yet we still have time for laughter and lighthearted musings.

I would be remiss if I didn’t offer a big thank you to Danny Phelps and Kathy Smith for their hard work and dedication to the Union College Music Program. You have endeared yourselves to the singers and have become an integral part of the Union College family.

It is my hope and prayer that all of my singers will have a wonderful summer. I already miss you and look forward to seeing you all in the fall.

Blessings to you all and Godspeed in your travels this summer, V. Gay Gandy