The Beauty and Power of Hymns: Opus 3

This is the third post in a quasi regular series about hymn tunes, lyrics, sources, etc...

A hymn that I was introduced to more than fifteen years ago, remains one of my favorites. Although it appears in some few denominational hymnbooks, I don't believe the hymn is widely known today. It is entitled "I Sought the Lord." The compelling text is as follows -- "I sought the Lord, and afterward I knew He moved my soul to seek Him, seeking me. It was not I that found, O Savior true; no, I was found of Thee.
Thou didst reach forth Thy hand and mine enfold; I walked and sank not on the storm-vexed sea. 'Twas not so much that I on Thee took hold, as Thou, dear Lord, on me.
I find, I walk, I love, but oh, the whole of love is but my answer, Lord, to Thee! For Thou wert long before-hand with my soul; always Thou lovedst me."
It is true that I see, and have seen for many years now, that it was He that "moved my soul to seek Him, seeking me." When I was quickened (made alive unto Christ) I believed it was of my own volition that I sought Him as my Redeemer. It was not so, it was He who opened my eyes. It was by grace alone that "Thou didst reach forth Thy hand and mine enfold."

In an article entitled "Irresistible Grace" (http://www.reformedpraise.org/) David Ward makes the following assertion in reflecting on this hymn text, "We hear the gospel invitation that 'everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved' (Romans 10:13) and respond in faith, only to look back with a biblically informed perspective and realize that it was really God who gave us our faith and Him who was really seeking us."

Sola Gratia!

I first learned "I Sought the Lord" to the hymn tune PEACE. You can listen to this hymn by following this link, http://www.hymnsite.com/, clicking on search and following the directions from there.