THE BEAUTY AND POWER OF HYMNS


I am unabashedly a lover of hymns. A wealth of great theological teaching can be found in their lyrics. I'm afraid that hymns have all but disappeared in many of our churches today. They have been replaced by what is commonly called "praise and worship" music. Hymns are deemed by some to be old fashioned, the melodies aren't pretty enough, they don't seem to rouse one's emotions, and the language is often written in a more sophisticated poetic style. But for me, it is the musical language that I often prefer in worship and is conducive to congregational singing. The texture of most hymns is homophonic, which allows all voices to sound together at once. The harmonic and melodic structures do not overshadow the text, which should be paramount.

I find that some of the music found in our churches today contain melodies that are exceedingly sentimental. Don't get me wrong, I love a beautiful melody as much as anyone. However, when the song is so melodious that it overshadows the text and is used to manipulate ones emotions, then I question how edifying it is for worship.

This past Sunday, one hymn in particular "spoke" to me. It is "All the Way My Savior Leads Me" with the text penned by the beloved hymn writer Fanny J. Crosby and the music composed by equally renowned Robert Lowry. The hymn was written and composed in 1875, but to my ears, this beautiful hymn rings true and remains fresh even to today. Please consider the text of this great hymn:
"All the way my Saviour leads me; what have I to ask beside? Can I doubt His tender mercy, who through life has been my Guide? Heavenly peace, divinest comfort, here by faith in Him to dwell! For I know, whate'er befall me, Jesus doeth all things well. All the way my Savior leads me; cheers each winding path I tread, gives me grace for every trial, feeds me with the living bread. Though my weary steps may falter, and my soul a-thirst may be, gushing from the Rock before me, Lo! a spring of joy I see. All the way my Savior lead me; oh, the fullness of His love! Perfect rest to me is promised in my Father's house above. When my spirit, clothed immortal, wings its flight to realms of day, this my song through endless ages: Jesus led me all the way."
What a glorious hymn. I am particularly drawn to "Though my weary steps may falter, and my soul a-thirst may be, gushing from the Rock before me, Lo! a spring of joy I see." Such a powerful statement -- So be it.

In closing, I want to encourage church musicians (and non musicians) not to "throw out the baby with the bath water." Certainly, there is much great music being written for the church today; however, there is an existing cannon of music for the church that is uplifting, edifying, and still relevant even to today. Sola gratia