I Have a Question...............

[Preface: Before moving on to the question at hand, I want to acknowledge that the vast majority of my singers are not participating in the activity in question. But, they are being adversely affected by the participating few.]

Now to the question……..How does a singer participate in choir rehearsal while checking for text messages on his/her phone? Also, how does (or did) this go relatively unnoticed by the conductor? I’m not sure I can fully answer these questions, but I will give it the old college try, so to speak.

In answer to the first question -- it is NOT possible for a singer to contribute to an ensemble while engaging in this activity. Case closed. Even as I am typing these words, I realize how ridiculous the answering of that question sounds. Of course the singer is not engaged in rehearsal, nor are they doing their fellow choristers any favors. How can a group of individual singers come together to produce an ensemble sound if they are not All working together in tandem.

Now for the second question -- How does this go relatively unnoticed by the conductor? I could say that the phones are very small and a singer will cup his/her hand around it and glance down at the phone without drawing the attention of the conductor, especially if sitting on the second or third row. I could also say that the conductor is very busy going about the business of directing a rehearsal and all that this entails. But, I believe that the answer more fully lies in the fact that the conductor has assumed too much. It is assumed that a singer would not carry on this kind of activity during rehearsal, it is assumed that they would show a quorum of respect for the conductor and their fellow singers, and lastly, it is assumed that they would respect the art of choral music.

It should not go without saying that the issue at hand is a problem in classrooms across the country. Staying “connected” has become an obsession that has usurped real communication which is (imagine this) face to face, live and in person. At any rate, I recommend that conductors and teachers alike set up a very clear policy about the use and viewing of cell phones. For example, my policy from this point forward is that cell phones may not be held, viewed, and certainly not answered during a rehearsal or class. (Exceptions are made in the case of an anticipated emergency call.) If a student is observed viewing their phone, they will be given a warning. If there is a second occurrence during the course of the semester the student will be required to meet with the director/teacher to determine if the student will continue to be a part of the ensemble/class. By the way, if any of my students are checking this blog via their Iphone, I sure hope it’s not during rehearsal. :)