Recommendation for Christmas: "Break Forth with Joy" arr. Larry Shackley


I have rehearsal this evening with the Union College Regional Chorus, which is made up of singers from Barbourville and surrounding communities, as well as UC faculty and students. I also conduct the UC Singers and Union Harmony. One of the pieces I have chosen for the Christmas Festival this year (and will be sung by all the choirs in mass) is "Break Forth with Joy" which incorporates three traditional Christmas carols, is arranged by Larry Shackley, and published by Alfred Pub.

[Side note: I did my doctoral studies at the same time Larry did -- he in composition, of course. He does a lot of arranging for Alfred Publishing and composes original works also. Some few of his works are a little too contemporary for my taste, but many of his works/arrangements I enjoy very much. BTW, if any of my choir students are reading this, they are no doubt chuckling since I often program something by Larry. In fact, they refer to him as "Larry" just as if they new him.]

Back to the piece -- I highly recommend this piece, which is not too difficult to learn. It also comes in an arrangement for SAB, should that better suit your choir. It can be done with keyboard alone, with brass, or (as I am doing) with organ, solo trumpet, and timpani. Any way, thought I would recommend that you take a look at the piece. You can listen to the piece by going to www.jwpepper.com -- enter -- Break Forth with Joy Shackley -- in the "keywords" box. When the page comes up, simply click on Mp3Audio.

One final thought -- there is very little syncopation, but when it occurs it must be precise. Ask your choir to do these passages on a neutral syllable (like tah) before singing it with the words.

PS I am not connected with or necessarily promoting pepper music. I just so happened to buy this piece from them and find the site easy to navigate.